Download This Special Report

Friday, July 07, 2006

Small Business Startup - The 90/10 Rule

Some people have the mistaken idea that running business is easy. Now, it's a lot of things - flexible, fun, challenging - but easy just isn't one of them. And, as you start out, it will be easy to get distracted and forget the 90/10 rule.

Computer consultants have this funny idea that they need more technical skills to start the business. The truth is that you probably already know all you need to know for now. Often, small businesses are less likely to hire you if you go out touting a long list of impressive certifications.

So what's the 90/10 rule? Focus 10% of your time on the technical stuff starting out and spend the other 90% of your time working on business building and direct marketing activities such as prospecting, lead generation, going out on sales calls, and preparing proposals.

Acquiring high quality clients is your top priority as you start your business. If what you're doing is not administrative or organizational, then it should be focusing on finding clients. Learn more about the 90/10 rule for business startups in the complete article (link above).

Submitted by Joshua Feinberg