Many times networking groups meet during daytime hours, meaning that if you are a computer consultant with a regular job that is moonlighting as you try to start your business, you can run into problems with attendance of important networking events. Because going to networking groups is absolutely imperative in order to succeed, you need to figure out how to work attendance into your schedule.
TIPS FOR ATTENTING NETWORKING GROUPS WHILE MOONLIGHTING
1. Seek out networking groups with events in the early evenings. Many networking groups have this schedule and finding these groups can help you take less time off work.
2. When you have to leave work before the end of the day in order to go to a networking group event, be as non-disruptive as possible. Give plenty of advance notice and work ahead when possible.
3. Think about how you can use personal days for attending the really critical networking events that arise.
4. If there are some networking groups that meet for breakfast, you can make arrangements to come to work late.
5. Long lunches can help you squeeze in important networking events. Midday meetings are also the least interruptive of your regular work and consulting gigs.
6. You need to be selective about the networking groups you join and what events you attend. Make a list of the important events and put off those that have less potential. When you are moonlighting you have to compromise to get the most out of your valuable time.
The most important thing about networking events is that they are essential to your success as a computer consultant, even when you are just moonlighting. Networking groups provide you with the contacts you will need to protect the future of your business.
Blogged By: Joshua Feinberg